Please Continue to Visit Us on Our Family Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ian

Today is our Haitian son Ian's 5-month birthday ... Maybe that is part of the reason the burden for our boys is pressing so heavily on my heart today. I cannot be with him to hold him, kiss him, and love him ... to celebrate that he is still alive. I am thankful that he is surrounded by love nonetheless, but I long for the day he will be in our arms!

Dear Ian,

Today you do not even know me, and I have never seen your face. But you are woven into my heart, and I long for the day when we will be together for the first time.

I think of you celebrating five months of life and try to remember what that stage was like with my other children, your brother and sisters ... yet realize that your circumstances are so very different. While they were beginning to try their very first cereal, your next meal may not even come. While they were becoming chubbier by the day, you are are still recovering from the ravages of starvation. While they knew the security of a nuclear family - a mom and a dad - you are experiencing a "family" in a village of dozens of women and children.

I wish you could know how very loved and longed for you are here. Someday you will grow up and read this letter, and you will understand. Until then, I pray for your safety and comfort and God's blessing upon your life and that of your courageous birthmother in Haiti. Happy 5 months, precious little Ian. I love you!

Mommy

No comments: