Please Continue to Visit Us on Our Family Blog

Friday, April 17, 2009

Journal Excerpt: Friday, April 10 (Con't)

I am sitting on the apartment floor, watching Alec pull himself across the shiny white surface to play with the babies' bouncy seats. I've swept and mopped this floor countless times since my arrival, trying to keep it clean for the four babies (Ian, Alec, Charlenes & Sophonise.) Between washing dishes in the bathroom and using buckets of water to flush the toilet, wash hands, take "showers" and clean clothes, I amuse myself by how much labor I am capable of - I need to keep this up at home!

But it is still nothing compared to the young boys and girls whose muscles already ripple as they carry full buckets of water up our stairs in exchange for a mango or some candy; or the muscles on the women who wash countless clothes by hand, crouched beside a sudsy basin ... yes, indeed, I feel frail and out of shape among these determined people!

1 comment:

Salzwedel Family said...

The Haitian people are AMAZING!