Please Continue to Visit Us on Our Family Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Final Post: From Haiti ... to Home

I have delayed this final post in order to fully enjoy another "first" with Ian and Alec ... their first trip to a very special vacation spot with our family and the Rubin cousins in southern Chile. The last time we took this trip was in December 2008, three months after meeting the boys in Haiti and while our hopes were still so high that they might be coming home any day. Little did we know that it would be another full year before those hopes were realized, yet that only made this vacation even more of a celebration of family.

three toddlers together: Ian, Alec and cousin Kendra

Our special spot is a beautifully designed cabin of native Chilean wood nestled in a deep green field, surrounded by stout, shady trees and just steps from a rippling river perfect for swimming, fishing and exploring. It is owned by an American who rents it out for weeks at a time and this year we had the wonderful privilege of spending two full weeks in this peaceful private getaway.

hand in hand with cousin Juliana

They were weeks of utter enjoyment for all of our children, but it was especially remarkable to observe our Haitian sons as they experienced the amazing beauty of God's creation and the thrill of vast outdoor spaces to run and play and discover. The scenery there is breathtaking, with rolling hills and rich farmland and smoke rising from the nearby snow-capped volcano that looks over the great valley below. Ian and Alec delighted in all that they saw, from rocks and sticks to cows and piglets and horses they observed on our walks and drives through the countryside.

at Volcan Villarrica with Daddy

The boys climbed partway up the volcano; bathed in natural thermal waters; shrieked at the frigid river current; took a boat ride through two lovely lakes; and followed their older siblings and cousins here, there and everywhere in fascination. It was the perfect way to spend the anniversary of their homecoming and it is a vacation we will never forget.

Ian, January 2011

Yes, as amazing as it seems we have truly and finally come full circle from Haiti ... to Home. Today as I watched our two little boys playing together, unaware of my gaze upon them as they marched hand in hand circling the yard and talking up a storm of adventures, my heart was full and at peace. I am thankful, so thankful, for the amazing grace of God poured out on our lives through this journey. It is my hope and prayer that we might never forget the display of His sovereignty, power and faithfulness made evident through it all. And to those of you who walked this journey with us in prayer, friendship and faith ... thank you so very much!

Alec, January 2011

Ian and Alec, I love you with all of my heart.

6 comments:

Becky Dempsey said...

The boys have grown so much! I don't know whether I should say "Goodbye" or "Congratulations" or ? on the ending of your From Haiti...to Home blog! It has been fun sharing in your journey.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, again, for sharing this journey with me. May God richly bless you as you embark on all the roads He has you walk along.

with love,
Heather Marie

Ithappenstobehaiti said...

What a wonderful story they have! Although I jumped in towards the end, I have been blessed by your words. It maybe your final post on this blog, but I am sure it is just the beginning of seeing how God will bless your family.

Ragan said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed sharing in your journey Steph and it makes me so happy to see your boys home and so happy.

StacyandChad said...

What a wonderful vacation for you all! I'm so blessed to have "seen" the journey of completing your family!
I'm thankful that I can continue to follow you on your family blog!
Thank you for allowing me to share in your story!
Stacy

T and T Livesay said...

Love seeing the boys so happy and healthy and loved!