Please Continue to Visit Us on Our Family Blog

Monday, June 12, 2023

They've Still Got Each Other

Ian embraces the Western theme; Alec, not so much

If you ask them, they won't say they are volunteering. With a smirk, they'll insist they were actually "voluntold." And to be honest, they won't be lying! But I venture to hope that when six weeks this summer are done, they will have enjoyed almost every minute of it as two of their older siblings did before them. 

I meant only to post some updated pictures of Ian and Alec, but stumbled on a 2011 post from our family blog entitled "Remembering the Waiting." It gave me pause to consider how far we've come from the endless, painful waiting for their arrival from Haiti. So far, that now letting them go (briefly!) seems good and well even while we'll miss them. Thank You, Lord!

enjoying Cuban mango milk, papa rellena and empanadas in Flint, MI

Watching these two together is still one of my favorite things to do. They have grown up to be so different from each other in interests and personality. Yet they are still closely connected. They are roommates and confidantes. These days at 15 years old they drive me crazy with their silence, but between themselves there are whispers and laughter and knowing looks. "Oh, it's nothing," they'll insist when I ask, "What is it?" - all the while exchanging glances and sly grins. I'm curious, but I don't really mind because I'm just glad they've still got each other.

watching their older brother's formal festivities from afar

No comments: